Sunday, February 26, 2012

oh-la-la...60 (vellum butterfly)

My girlfriend's sister is turning 60.  I wanted to make her a card.  But there is nothing "old lady-ish" about her.  I'm not saying 60 is old!  It's just that a lot of bday cards for 60-year-olds seem to look like they're for old people.  Know what I mean?

She is a classy gal.  But I 'm not very good at elegant cards.  I decided to stay away from the flowers and lace and frouf and let myself be inspired by Debby's CAS card.  (Do you know lime doodle?  Love the light touch she gives to every card.)  I also took inspiration from the colors at The Play Date Cafe - wanted to meet the deadline this time!



Here is my card:


I used pigment inks and one of the stamps from WMS Teeny Trees to make the flower, opting for a "orangesicle" vellum butterfly stamped with chalk ink and adhered with a rolled glue dot.

Added a piece of white satin ribbon topped with a sheer blue ribbon adding to the light and airy feel.

For my sentiment I considered the typical H.B. options, or congratulations.  Then I spotted my "oh-la-la" and decided to use it.  Kind of dainty compared to bigger messages.  To make the card special for her special day, this is how I treated the inside:


Happy day.

p.s.  Wow.  There are 8 lovely faces on my sidebar.  Welcome ladies.  So nice to see you here.  Have a great week!


Supplies oh-la-la:
Paper:  CS Neenah, vellum recycled envelope 
Stamps:  petals WMS, butterfly Martha Stewart, sentiment Technique Tuesday, 60 We-R-Memory Keepers, sentiment Hero Arts
Ink:  pigment Cats Eye, chalk Versamagic, black Versafine
Tools:  corner rounder EKS
Other:  ribbon, glue dots


12 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm simply in love with that butterfly!!! Fabulous job on the challenge and thanks for playing with us at The Play Date Cafe!

Ruby said...

This is just lovely! I especially love the way you've done the coloured '60' inside, it looks lovely. Sorry it's taken me so long to pop by, but thanks for playing along with us over at The Play Date Cafe. Hope you play along again with us soon!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

SO pretty! LOVE that stamping--and I LOVE that your inks matched perfectly to our color story!
THANKS for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the PDCC:)

Alicia said...

So super classy. Love the simplicity of it! :) Thanks for playin' along.

Julie Ranae said...

How absolutely beautiful, Maria....The vellum is such a lovely focal point. Thank you for bringing your design to The Play Date Cafe!

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful, that butterfly is breathtaking!

Debby said...

Thanks for the shout out Maria and I love your take!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Such a pretty card! That vellum butterfly looks fabulous!

Karin (PeppermintPatty) said...

WONDERFUL and such a perfect take on those colors!
Hugs, Karin

Jean said...

Lovely card!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Maria, fab job making a CAS birthday card with our challenge colors! ANd I ADORE the way you formed a sentiment on the inside. I actually wish that was a sentiment included on most birthday stamp sets!

Thanks for playing with us at The Play Date Cafe this week!

Barb said...

oh-la-la indeed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...